Monday, July 26, 2010

SA FAR(I) AWAY - fifth of scotch

..... Harry, the daddy long legs spider sharing my quarters, and i have come, almost, to an end. I dont mind him sitting quietly in the corner of my bathroom. He does his thing and every evening i discuss my days journey with him. Harry patiently listens - i dont have to censor my words or thoughts as i might with human beings. (Although i am sure some of you reading my blogs are POSITIVE i have no censors in my thoughts at all) I dont know, actually, when he arrived.. or if he was there all the time. He has been a constant in my otherwise rather rock- slide type of a journey. I worry when/if someone will not appreciate his usurping the space he hogs for his own domain. Will SOMEONE come along who hates spiders and squash him? Will they not see the wonder in the web he builds?... although his housekeeping, leaving all the carcasses of past meals dangling like flags in the breezes, leaves a bit to be desired, we are kindred of sorts...happy in our solitude, creative, and leave a mess - be it physical one or someone shaking their head at my quirky observations of life and thereby creating a whirlwind (what exactly is that anyway, a whirlwind? is that more like a baby tornado...graded like the rapids... a grade 1 or maybe a grade 3? Wheras a grade 5 or 6 means hold on to your socks folks you're in for a damned bumpy ride!) of turmoil/upside down/vivid - ish images in their otherwise stable/neat/organized minds?

Every time someone in our little group leaves we go out to dinner and everyone gets to ask the "leaver" a question. Tonight is my night but many of the people i have worked with this whole month have already departed. A few leave today to do the safari i started where i started my trip . I didn't go to dinner with them last night - i dont like the goodbyes and i have already said goodbye to to many!!! I remember almost everyone i have ever met - no matter how long ago or for how brief a moment. A lot of the time, i can remember entire conversations, that i am not sure if it is a blessing or a curse. Many things remind me of people i havent spoken to in years or ever again after that initial conversation. They are filed away in the back of my overfilled mind to pop out every now and again like old jack in the box toys you pull from the attic storage.
We wonder if our lives have an impact on others - that ripple effect has worked. Hopefully i have taken the best of everyone whom (or is it who - that is a rhetorical question. My father,the English teacher, used to try to drill that into me - i am afraid after all these years i still dont know. Ok... maybe i do a little...but the thought just ran through my head - so i put it down. Obviously no censor on there! lol) i have ever met and passed it on along the way.

time to go .... off to work... :::singing from Les Miz ::::: ONE MORE DAYYYYYYYY!

No comments:

Post a Comment